There are many things this new normal we are living within has taught us. Many of us are adjusting to balancing multiple personas at the same time, roles like teacher, stay at home parent, worker, cleaner and chef. And while it is usually fun to master new skills, there is usually more of a planned ramp-up, which our current situation didn’t allow for.
Before this crisis, many of us were living crazed and busy lives. And while much has ‘slowed down’ in recent weeks, if you are like me, you don’t feel any less stressed out. In fact, these new roles have created more pressure for many with roles bleeding together (i.e. doing the parent-teacher-wife-worker-thing at the same time); which is why the focus on self-care is more important than ever.
However, while self-care is always important, this guidebook has also been rewritten as we live in this new normal. Our team has put together their list of top ways to prioritize yourself during quarantine. Hopefully something here resonates with you as well!
- Build a salsa garden: do you miss your favorite Mexican restaurant? Try building a salsa garden to enjoy with your chips and guac to help fill the gap!
- Get creative in the kitchen: get the family excited by finding ingredients you already have and turn dinner prep into a Chopped competition. Making this mundane task into a fun competition can help take the blah into ahhhhh!
- Optimize your zen: intentionally plan time in each day to create the calm in your world. Whether that’s a 15-minute tea break, a streaming yoga session, a nightly candle-lit bath or a daily walk around your neighborhood, find ways to enable the positive in your daily world.
- Pick a team: now is a great time to fall back in love with board games. Some of our staff favorites include Yahtzee, puzzles, Heads Up (virtually – can be done on your phone to play with friends at a distance), The Simms 4, Dominos, Azul, Tiny Epic Defenders and Ticket to Ride. We did a get a vehement ‘NO’ from one of our colleagues on Uno Flip – saying it took forever for a family of 4 … so play at your own risk!
- Get crafty: some of our team has taken the time to freshen up their living spaces with new paint, re-configuring existing furniture and trying their hand at a new hobby like painting or sewing (i.e. making their own masks)!
- Go to the (virtual) spa: thanks to the benefits of mail delivery, it is easy enough to do at-home facials and other spa treatments. Some staff favorites are:
During this time when we have been forced into some pretty abrupt adjustments, self-care is more important than ever. Maybe this list provides you a new idea or two – or at the very least, some inspiration to find something that resonates with you. There will be a point in time when life gets back to something more ‘normal’ … but until that time, perhaps we can find some joy in some of the novelties included above. Take care and be well!